Heworth Grange Comprehensive School is a maintained mainstream school for students from the ages of eleven to eighteen.

The school caters for a wide range of students, including those with Special Educational needs and Disabilities.

The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs A White who can be contacted by telephoning the school on 0191 421 2244.

All students follow a broad balanced curriculum that is appropriate to their age and stage of development which is personalised to take into account their needs and abilities. In order to identify a student’s special educational needs we use all of the information about the student’s progress and compare it with the progress of other students in the school and against national performance information, such as National Curriculum levels.

If a student is not making the progress that would be expected, their parent/carer will be involved as soon as possible. We will discuss our concerns with the parent/carer and student and get their views about:

• the student’s strengths and areas of difficulty

• concerns that the parent/carer and student has

• agreed outcomes

• agreed the next steps

Following discussions with parents/carers and the student, we will then agree outcomes that the student will be working towards and the support or programmes of study that are needed to meet these outcomes. From the records of progress and discussions with parents/carers, the school will then decide the support or programmes of study that are needed to meet these outcomes.

Concerns are not always based on academic progress but could also be linked to the social and emotional development of the student. Any concerns that school staff or parents raise in this area may lead to a further investigation by the SENDCo.

Each student’s progress is continually monitored by their subject teacher and the SENDCo in a number of ways, including additional educational testing completed within school. The SENDCo oversees any additional support the student may need and at the beginning of the new academic year, data is analysed and tracked to get a clear indication of which students need support with their academic work.

Progress is discussed in regularly staff meetings, tracked closely by departments and staff and is reviewed formally every term. The student is given a National Curriculum level in English and Maths which is shared with parent/carers through the school reporting system. If the student is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and shows smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’. As well as National Curriculum Levels other test may be used to monitor progress, such as tests which give a reading and spelling age or a standardised score. These tests and levels will also be discussed in detail, along with staff comments within the review meeting.

The level of support given to each student and depends on their additional needs and any other factors that may improve or hinder their progress. When a student has been assessed and is not making progress against their outcomes with the help that they have been given, we can refer students to a number of different services for more specialist assessment and advice.

Depending on the student’s needs, referrals can be made to the Special Educational Needs Improvement Team (SENIT), the Educational Psychology Service or Behaviour Support Service within Gateshead Council, health services such as speech and language therapy, school nursing service, occupational therapist, Emotional Wellbeing Team or Children and Young People’s Service or social care teams such as SEND social workers or the Family Intervention Team. We might suggest completing a Common Assessment Framework (CAF) form in order to get a team of professionals (Team around the Family (TAF)) together to work with the student and their family but this will only be done with the parent/carers agreement.

If the student does not make progress with support that has been suggested by specialist staff, we can make a referral to the Local Authority (LA), for an assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan (called a Single Plan in Gateshead). This is a legal process, which is carried out by the LA which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for the student.

Parent/carers can contact school with any concerns about their child by telephoning, writing or coming into the office and requesting a meeting or speaking to staff at the start and end of the school day.

Parent/carers will be kept informed through home/school books/diaries, school reports and phone calls. Staff will contact parents/carers to discuss issues, concerns or progress of individual students as soon as additional need is identified.

We hold regular parent evenings for all parents/carers. If your child has special educational needs, parents/carers and the student are involved with regular termly review meetings to discuss progress towards current outcomes and setting outcomes for the future.

Annual Reviews are held for students with Single Plans or statements of special educational needs. These review focuses on achievements, the progress made towards the outcomes, support and future plans and is held with parents/carers, the student and any other agencies involved.

Progress reports can be provided to parents/carers in alternative formats if required.

Students are encouraged to share their aspirations and views in review meetings especially letting school know how they prefer to be supported.

There are a number of people in school who are responsible for special educational needs and disabilities in school:

The Head Teacher is responsible for:

• The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including support for students with SEND.

• Making sure that your child’s needs are met but they will give this responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers.

• Making sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is responsible for:

• Coordinating all the support for students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all students get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

• Ensuring that parents/carers are:

• involved in supporting their child’s learning

• kept informed about the support their child is getting

• involved in reviewing how they are doing

• involved in planning for their future.

• Contacting other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning for example, an Educational Psychologist.

• Making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

• Provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so they can help students with SEND in the school make the best possible progress.

• Writing Learning Plans/I.E.P.s that specify the student’s targets.

• Ensuring that all staff working with the student in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme so the student can make the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

The Subject Teacher is responsible for:

• Making sure that all students have access to excellent classroom teaching (this is known as quality first teaching) and that the curriculum is adjusted to meet your child’s individual needs (this is called differentiation).

• Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and providing any additional help your child may need and letting SENDCo know if necessary. This could be things like targeted work, additional support.

• Following the Learning Plans/I.E.P.s produced by the SENDCo. These will be shared and reviewing with parents at least once each term.

• Planning for the student’s next term based on their progress.

• Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the students they teach with any SEND.

The Teaching Assistants work with the class teacher to identify areas of support for students with SEND. They:

• Support students to access the curriculum

• Help to implementation of differentiation and specialist support strategies in the classroom

• Keep students focused on learning activities during lesson

• Attend all training opportunities related to SEND and differentiation.

• Are mainly classroom based, however Higher Level Teaching Assistants are able to deliver specific SEND programmes outside of the classroom. They may also provide support during social time and unstructured parts of the day

• Help students to develop effective ways of becoming independent learners

• Pass on any concerns regarding progress/emotional and social development to the SENDCo

The SEND Governor is responsible for:

• Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy

• Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all students in the school.

• Making sure that the necessary support is made for any student who attends the school, who has SEND.


School staff are trained in specific areas where there is a current SEND. The Headteacher collects information on areas for development through appraisals and staff meetings and asks the appropriate professionals to deliver it as whole staff or individual training. Training is also provided for staff when students are admitted to school with a SEND that no-one in school has experience of. Managers of Literacy and Numeracy areas find appropriate specialist support training and enrol staff on courses.

Staff within school have different levels of expertise in order to support students with special educational needs:

Awareness – this is basic awareness of a particular type of SEND. All staff who come into contact with the student will have this level of training and it will be carried out by the SENDCo, SENIT, Educational Psychologist or other specialist service.

Enhanced – this level of training will be carried out by staff working with the student regularly, such as class and subject teachers, and will focus on how teaching and learning can be adapted to meet the student’s needs. The training can be carried out by SENIT, Educational Psychologist, staff from special schools or other specialist services.

Specialist – this is in-depth training about a particular type of SEND for staff who will be advising staff who support students at an enhanced level. This could be a specialist SEND teacher or a SENDCo if they have appropriate qualifications.

At Heworth Grange School, staff have had awareness training in ASD.

Transitions can be difficult for a student with SEND and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

• Students with statements of special educational needs or Education, Health and Care Plan (Single Plans) will have a review in the Autumn term before they move to secondary school to discuss the transition. You will be told by 15 February of the year that they transfer, which secondary school they will be attending in September.

• Before your child moves to Heworth Grange School, the SENDCo will visit them at their previous school. Whenever possible, we will arrange for your child to visit us to meet their new teachers and classmates. We will invite all parents to an open evening once their secondary placement has been allocated. We will also speak to the primary school SENDCo and the parent/carers of children with a Single Plan/statement of SEND before their child begins at Heworth Grange, as they know their child better than we ever can. We will develop a personal transition plan for your child with their primary school and review staff training to ensure that staff teaching your child have a knowledge of their needs. At the start of July, there is also a transition week for all Year 6 pupils at Heworth Grange and.

• If your child is moving to another school we will contact the SENDCo at the new school and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. We will also make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. Where possible your child will visit their new school before they start and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school. When your child moves to secondary school, staff from Heworth Grange School will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their primary school.

• Information is available for all staff from the school’s computerised records so staff will be aware of your child’s needs if they move class. Students with a greater level of need are identified to all staff as appropriate.

• Students also move to college or apprenticeships at the end of Year 11 or the end of Year 13. Students will have support from a Connexions Personal Adviser from Year 9, who will provide independent support and advice about Post 16 options. In some cases it may be suitable to use the support of Disabled Social Work Team to support the transition into adult services for the student.

Please note – if your child has a statement of special educational need or Single Plan they must have an annual review before they move to a new school.


All students receive excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean:

• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all students in their class.

• That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

• Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This could involve things like using more practical learning.

• Specific strategies are in place to support your child to learn.

• If your child’s teacher has decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning after carefully checking on your child’s progress they could receive some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

• Differentiated academic pathways at KS4, to include vocational qualifications as appropriate

• Alternative education opportunities for learning outside of the school setting if appropriate

All students will get this level of support but other types of support are available for students with SEND:

Specific work with a small group of students.

This type of support is available for any student who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and will be put in place if the SENDCo or Head of Department thinks that they need extra support in school. The groups, called “Intervention groups”, are based around areas such as literacy, numeracy, social skills, transition, dyslexia, “Nessy Fingers”, Study Skills or MFL.

These groups:

• Take place in the Student Support Services department,

• Are planned and overseen by a teacher and delivered by either a teacher of SEND or by a Teaching Assistant who has been trained to run the groups,

• Are organised with specific targets to help your child make more progress. The targets will be identified in advance and need to be achieved within a specific time period, normally a term.

The progress made with the intervention is tracked and monitored closely to decide whether any additional support is needed for your child.


Specialist groups run by outside agencies

This type of support is available for students who are not making progress through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups and means they have been assessed as needing some extra specialist support in school. This may be from:

• Local Authority services such as the SENIT, an Educational Psychologist or Behaviour Support Service.

• Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational Therapy, Emotional Wellbeing Team.

For your child this would mean:

• Your child will have been identified by the SENDCo as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

• You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

• You may be asked for permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s needs better and be able to support them better in school.

• The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

o Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

o Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise

o A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional

o A group or individual work with an outside agency or professional

• The school may give your child needs some individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.


Individual support

This is usually provided through an Education, Health and Care Plan (known as a Single Plan in Gateshead). This means your child will have been identified by a specialist professional as needing a higher level of support than the school can provide from their SEND budget. This is a legal process, which is carried out by the LA, which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child. School will discuss with you if they think that this is required.


Emotional and Social

As well as providing academic support, school can also provide emotional and social support for students. This can include:

• Peer mentoring systems involving older, normally Sixth Form students

• Social skills/nurture group interventions – provided by both internal staff and external agencies

• School counsellor

• Support from a Learning Mentor

• Support individually or small group intervention work with the inclusion Assistant

• Self-esteem interventions – ranging from small group interventions to speech and language interventions

• A Pastoral system which allocates support from Head of Year and Assistant Head of Year, as well as from the Inclusion Manager

• Anti-bullying policies that are taught within the PSRE curriculum

• Opportunity to study ASDAN and PSD (Personal and Social Development)

• Provision provided before and after school for vulnerable students

• Administration of medicines – Mrs C Frater

In School

The school is fully accessible to students with physical difficulties.

The following facilities are available for students and their parents/carers with physical difficulties:

• Disabled parking bays

• Ramped access to buildings

• Lifts to all floors

• Accessible toilets

• Induction loop for hearing aid users

• Contrast edging and dual height rails on stairs and steps

• Accessible break areas

• Accessible dining area

• A private room for administration of medication

A risk assessment will be carried out and personal evacuation plan will be drawn up for all pupils with physical difficulties. All staff working with the student will be made aware of the plan.

We have an Accessibility Policy which is available to view in more detail on the School website.

Outside School

The school has a number of after school clubs, including, homework club, Maths club, History club and many more. All the clubs are accessible to students with special educational needs and disabilities.

Students take part in school visits throughout the year. A risk assessment is completed for all school visits. The Senior Leadership Team, overseen by the Headteacher, makes decisions based on whether it is safe for a student to leave the premises, taking into account the emotional needs of the students.

Parent/carers should contact the SENDCo with any complaints about the provision that the student is receiving at school. If the complaint is not resolved, the school has a complaints policy (see school website for more detailed information).

Parents/carers can contact the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information and Advice Service which is run by the Gateshead Parent Partnership Service (formerly known as Barnardos) on 0191 478 4667, email DAISS@barnardos.org.uk.

This is a free, confidential service for young people who have SEND and their parent/carers. The service is available whether or not the young person has a Single/EHC Plan.


Gateshead Council has developed a Local Offer which provides information about education, health and social care support for children and young people with SEND in Gateshead. The Local Offer can be found at www.gateshead.gov.uk/localoffer.

Please see SEND information/Policy here